My 2020 Christmas Letter

 


         Season's Greetings            Christmas 2020 


         Well, the 2020 U.S. presidential election and the Covid - 19 pandemic certainly dominated the news this past year, didn't they? But one bright ray of hope that nearly all Americans either missed or quickly glossed over was the announcement of the Abraham Accords, leading to the normalization of relations between Israel and three of her Arab neighbors: The United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, and Sudan, with more Arab neighbors very likely to follow suit in the coming years. This will certainly be a highlight of President Trump's legacy.

          From my son, Johnathan, 39:  In March, Johnathan, Carissa, Hunter and Kennedy went to Jupiter, FL to see the St. Louis Cardinals play in spring training, but ended up missing the game by one day due new COVID restrictions. So, they decided to make due by bumping up their trip to Orlando and visiting Disney World on the very last day before they closed.  They had also booked flights to London to watch the Cards v. Cubs exhibition games, which were also cancelled.  They're still holding onto their plane tickets and plan to make a trip around western Europe out of those.  Zoom meeting schooling for 9-year-old Hunter and 6-year-old Kennedy has been challenging to say the least, but they're getting by just fine.  All family members participated in Carissa's union's strike in January.  Hunter and Kennedy enjoyed yelling slogans into the bullhorn.

          From my daughter, Holly, 35:  What an interesting year this has turned out to be LOL! Dave for the first time working for a liquor distributor, while it still is in the service industry, he during this pandemic has supplemented work in a different way. With restaurants being at 25% capacity or not at all, where they serve only take out.  He’s had a positive outlook overall seeing this as a way to try something different. Holly is still working at her local New Jersey dance studio, even though it’s even more part time with the pandemic and with being a full-time mom to Melanie (who is no longer a baby and now a toddler 😔).  To this very day Melanie has traveled on an airplane eight different times in her life and would’ve had two more added on if able to go home for Christmas.. She’s quite the world traveler, domestically speaking LOL. She was able to see her uncles Johnathan and Brett and aunts Carissa and Amanda and her cousins Hunter in Kennedy during those travels which was really great! She had also gotten to see Great-Grandmommy over the summer as well as her Meme (Mernell) and Grandpa Greg and a few cousins!  She also got to experience the beach and sand for the first time up at Cape Cod, where Dave’s dad and stepmom reside, which was so cool to witness!  She’s a beach bum for sure (like her parents)! She has now had her first Easter, her first birthday, her second Halloween at a social distance and soon will celebrate the others the same. Thank goodness she’s only one, honestly don’t think she minds or knows to mind lol. We are truly sad that we are still in a state of quarantine and can’t be with the family this coming holiday but we want you to know that we send our love, stay safe and Happy HollyDayz!   

          Johnathan's & Holly's half-brother, Brett, and his wife, Amanda, are excited to be expecting their first baby this coming April, 2021.

         My good college friend, Kim, was kind enough to make me a St. Louis Cardinals--themed face mask to wear to protect me from Covid, not just once, but twice (after I, unfortunately, learned that one should not place the mask in a washer and dryer cycle).

        I want to thank Carol Ann, a married woman from Ohio, for my sixth enjoyable year of being pen friends with her. Also, thanks to Zofia in Germany and Phuong in Nevada for corresponding with me in 2020. And a special thanks to Victoria in Canada for a very special three months of corresponding with me. T'was truly remarkable.

       My sister, Diane, and husband, Mark, are in the process of moving back to southern Missouri to enjoy their retirement. And my sister, Rochelle, and husband, Ed, have completed their move to Virginia to also enjoy their retirement. Speaking of retirement, I have completed 30 years of retirement as an engineer with the Soil Conservation Service due to disability, which served me extremely well at a very difficult time in my life.  My mother is age 88 and is still living in her farm home for the past 70 years, but she is no longer able to “leap tall buildings in a single bound.” But her children, particularly Chris, Angela, & Alicia; and Mike & Lisa Houston and ‘adopted’ granddaughter, Emily, care for her needs. We are all very thankful that Mother is still enjoying life.

            Though Patricia Falco Beccalli accepted my Facebook friend request back in October, 2009 (when she was an anchor for CNBC Europe as Patricia Szarvas, before she later married), Mrs. Falco Beccalli and I exchanged our first brief messages with each other in 2020 and, to make a very long story short, I messaged to Mrs. Falco Beccalli that my hearing directly from her was a thrill for me. 

          Sadly, my cousin on my father's side, Jeffry Jarboe, passed away in August at the age of 60. My father's first cousin, Paul Wood, passed away at age 95 in May, whose wife, Mary, passed away in 2019. As I wrote to Paul's daughter, Kathy, we didn't know the strong individuals that our parents and other adults in our communities were when we were growing up until we later ventured out into the world. My first work supervisor after my college graduation, Jerry McElhiney, passed away in November at the age of 90. Jerry was recognized within the Soil Conservation Service (in the USDA) as one of the best to train new engineers and I was one of the many "rookie" engineers who was fortunate enough to train under Jerry at Warrensburg, Missouri in 1976 - 1977. During my first (of seven) psychiatric hospitalizations in January, 1989, I received a letter from Jerry that expressed Jerry's soothing and reassuring "writing voice" in which he wrote to me, midway through this letter, "You are one of the best Engineers I know Greg,......" Coming from Jerry, that made me feel very good while I was in the hospital. And this letter is still invaluable to me today.  Two legends in St. Louis Baseball Cardinals history (and who were great stars when my brother, Chris, and I fell in love with Cardinals baseball in the Summer of 1966, listening to every game that we possibly could on the radio), Bob Gibson and Lou Brock, passed away in 2020 less than a month apart from each other.  A major era in St. Louis Cardinals baseball coming to an end.

             On the astronomy and space exploration front, American astronauts were once again launched on American rockets from American soil for the first time in nine years, thanks to the private company, SpaceX, with two manned launches in 2020. (Thank you to the nation of Russia for providing the only access to the International Space Station for all human beings since 2011.) The star in the right shoulder of the Orion constellation, Betelgeuse, mysteriously dimmed in late 2019 and early 2020, leading to (wild) speculations by some of Betelgeuse going supernova in our lifetimes, but it then regained its former brightness. Studies suggested that occluding large-grain circumstellar dust may be the most likely explanation for the dimming of the star. I observed and I obtained a few photos of Comet NEOWISE, but it was a quite a flop compared to Comet Hale-Bopp in 1997. And we are now approaching the Great Conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn on December 21, 2020, which only occurs once every 20 years. To see this, pray for a clear sky, find a completely unobstructed southwestern horizon about 45 – 60 minutes after sunset and just above the southwestern horizon, the two giant planets of our solar system will almost merge into one "star" on Dec. 21st , quite a sight to see through a small telescope: Saturn with its glorious rings and Jupiter with its four large moons. Enjoy watching their close approach to each other in the coming days.

       My pen friend, Carol Ann, correctly noted to me that my life wouldn't change much with Covid when she wrote to me in March, 2020, "Since you don’t go out very much, life may feel a lot the same to you even though we have the virus. Other than the news and a shopping trip here and there, you can pretty much ignore it.”  I replied back to Carol Ann of this recent exchange between my friend since childhood, Billy, and myself, Billy becoming disabled from his railroad job around the same time that I was disabled from my engineering job in the year 1990. (Billy grew up on a farm only one mile from the farm that I grew up on, our Moms long being the best of friends, and Billy and I were two of the 18 students in our graduating High School Class of 1972 at Madison, Missouri): 

          

Greg Jarboe:  I don't know about you, Billy, but nearly all of America is changing closer to my lifestyle for the next few weeks or months.  😏

Billy:  Greg, well, we're both qualified and skilled in the art of being hermits. Maybe we should stand 6 feet apart and make and sell a video on lifestyle changes?? Think???  😷😷😷😁

Greg Jarboe:  Billy, sounds like a plan! 


 I hope that you and your family have a prosperous 2021!               Greg

Comments